Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Empathy


I believe that I am a very empathic person and can relate to or understand hardships that others are going through.  I always do my best to listen if someone needs advice or sympathy.  The findings on the empathy test revealed my score to be average.  This score is somewhat accurate, however I believe it did score me lower than I would have thought I would be.  Sometimes I have trouble listening to other people’s viewpoints because I am so strong in my beliefs and morals, which could explain why the score was just average.

 Empathy is somewhat genetic but a great deal of a person’s empathy is influenced by their environment.  For instance, if someone was raised in a home where love is unconditional they will be more apt to give and accept love.  On the other hand, if someone was raised in a home where there was no empathy or love toward each other, then they will shut down and become hardened by their negative experience. 

My AP Statistics teacher is an amazing example of someone who shows empathy to everyone.  For example, she always is ready to listen to anything that is troubling you and is generous to people who are struggling financially. However, I also know another teacher that is lacking in empathy.   Instead of trying to understand why students are having trouble in a certain area she doesn’t care to listen or understand.  She presses her views unto the students and doesn’t care to listen to anyone else’s view.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment